Black Namoi – Modern Black Table Silkie
The ‘Black Namoi” is a modern-day spin on the traditional rare breed, Asian coveted ‘Silkie’. Unlike traditional Silkie chickens, which are lean and gamey, the Black Namoi is a result of new bloodlines and crossbreeding, culminating in a small, tender table bird with startling black skin and bones, a good layer of fat, a greater proportion of moist meat, and deeper, richer, less gamey flavour than it’s lean, textural cousin. The increased fat content allows the Black Namoi to be used for roasting, baking, and grilling. The Black Namoi is designed to get Silkies out of the pot and onto the grill.
This product is sold by final weight. (Order one = one x bird) Pay the deposit amount to secure your order. We will contact you to confirm the final order weight, price, and outstanding amount payable. This product is frozen.
The Silkie (sometimes spelled Silky) is a breed of chicken originating from China, named for its atypically fluffy plumage said to feel like silk. The breed has several other unusual qualities, such as black skin and bones, blue earlobes, and five toes on each foot (most chickens have four). Their raw flesh is dark beige and internal organs dramatically pitch black. Once the skin is cooked, it turns a deep, glossy, obsidian black.
The Black Namoi has a soft, gentle nature and even temperament, and will often adopt and sit on orphaned eggs from other species (even giant duck eggs).
Meat colour varies within each bird. Typically, expect distinctly darker meat which will turn from soft cream to white when fully cooked. Despite all the black-on-black-on-black, silkies are colorfast and won’t produce a black broth, using either water or fat to try to leach the inky pigment from their bones. The skin will be b, sometimes bordering on blue or purple.
The Black Namoi have an elongated body, small head, long legs and disproportionate looking feet with 5 toes. Their outdoor foraging life mean organs, muscles and skeletal system grow in harmony.
Black Namoi table birds are processed using the superior ‘Cold Scald’ and ‘Air Chill’ method. This protects the ‘bloom’ of the skin. The birds drain before ‘air chilling’ on racks, allowing the meat to rest before packaging commences. The Black Namoi is the only table Silkie in Australia to be processed in this method, meaning there are NO CHEMICALS involved in the processing of the bird. Compare this to the common process of a hot scald followed by a plunge into heavy chlorinated icy water of up to 150 ppm which is invariably absorbed by the chicken. This causes a ‘bleaching effect’ removing the skin’s natural bloom. The cooked finish is not compromised by the freezing process.
Please place your order and choose collection or delivery.
Where a deposit is required, the balance of your account is subject to final weight. This is to avoid you underpaying should your order come in more of less than the farmer’s estimation. Payment of your balance must be made prior to collection /delivery, and can be made via cash, eft, or credit card (a 2.5% surcharge applies) and will be issued via invoice. Invoices are issued to food service clientele on wholesale pricing. Please let us know if you require a credit application.
This product will be available to collect from Clayfield, Brisbane.
For collection details, please join our Buyers Group Club or contact us here.
Opening Hours are Thursday-Friday: 9.00 am - 4.00 pm for casual walk ins, and Mon-Weds 9.00 am - 4.00 pm by prior arrangement. We are often on farm property or with food service clients, so a quick call or text to arrange will ensure you are not kept waiting.
Delivery orders must be over $80.00 in value.
Delivery is available throughout all Brisbane suburbs from Gold and Sunshine Coasts and throughout the Toowoomba region ranges. Please visit our shipping and delivery page for rates. Air freight may apply to regional areas.
If you're picking up, there is no minimum order value.
Delivery is available to most locations throughout South East Queensland and Northern New South Wales.Please visit our shipping and delivery page for costings. Air freight may apply depending on your location.
PICK UP FAQ
1. Where can I pick up my order? You can pick up from us at Clayfield Thursday and Fridays, 9.00 am - 4.00 pm, or by making an appointment. We are a small business, and our time is divided between farms, food service outlets and serving you, so please be patient and we'll be flexible.
2. Is there a minimum amount for pick up orders? Picking up from us: No limit - buy as much or as little as you wish.
3. Do I need to bring my own esky to pick up my order? Yes! We love it when you bring your own esky, styrofoam box, or cooler bag. During the week, our fridge is well-stocked with all sorts of products including some things you won’t find in the online shop. If you don’t see what you want, we can usually find it for you. Alternatively, you can place an order online and come and pick it up.
Please note: we require a minimum delivery order value of $80.00.
1. Where do you deliver? We deliver all over Brisbane, Gold and Sunshine Coast, and Toowoomba regions by a sub-contracted refrigerated courier service. Please get in touch if you need delivery outside these areas.
2. How much does delivery cost? Depends on where you are. Delivery is set by the refrigerated courier and ranges from $35.00- $55.00.
3. How will my order be packed? All orders are packed in a sealed box. Your produce will remain fresh and cold inside the courier service vehicle. Couriers can not leave fresh or frozen meat unattended, so please ensure someone will be available to receive. We mostly use recycled boxes .
INTERSTATE DELIVERY FAQ
Please note: we require a minimum delivery order value of $80.00.
4. How will my order be packed? All orders are packed in a sealed box. Your produce will remain fresh and cold (or frozen) inside the courier service vehicle. You will need to collect inside the detailed opening hours or your goods will begin to defrost. We mostly use recycled boxes.
Great Northern Poultry is owned and operated by Cameron Ward and Angus Shepherd. The Shepherd family manage all aspects of the specialist genetics, breeding, brooding and hatching of eggs on their family farm “Burrulaa Crossing” situated just outside of Manilla, a small town slightly north east of Gunnedah, NSW.
Day old chicks are carefully transported to the Ward family farm “Glenbrae”, where the birds live a free-range life until maturity around 8-10 weeks.
Both farms maintain high level holistic management systems, with bird health, and wellbeing the main priority. At 10 weeks of age, each batch of chickens is dispatched to a private avian abattoir in Guyra, where they are hand processed without chemical intervention, bleach or toxic skin treatments.