Collection and Delivery
Where a deposit is required, the balance of your account is subject to any final weights. Payment of all balances must be made prior to collection or delivery, and can be made via bank transfer or credit card (a 2.5% credit surcharge applies), and totals including delivery will be issued via invoice. Do we deliver to your area? Please ensure you have read all freight and delivery information for locations, rates, courier terms and information before placing and finalising your order.
The quail live in very, very large portable walled enclosures which sit directly on the paddock, meaning they access fresh pasture everyday. The freedom to dig holes and shower themselves with dust keeps the birds mite and lice free, and that means they are free from medication and chemical intervention. The birds forage for insects and grubs for a natural feed source, and have access to high-protein grain mix made in the local area specifically for the quail. This results in a far more complex flavor profile than caged and shed raised birds.
Quail are bred, hatched and reared on farm, and processed each week at by a small scale abattoir in Canowindra NSW (the same abattoir we have our Sommerlad chickens processed at) using controlled atmosphere slaughter meaning chemical free processing and no bleach on the skin.
Yes, these birds are expensive in comparison to caged birds. However, please remember:
* the only pasture raised quail farm in Australia in full time year-round commercial production, every other quail in Australia is barn or cage raised
* raised on grass for around 10 weeks (shed and caged raised is much quicker at 6 to 7 weeks)
* the slower growth and access to grass, bugs etc makes for much darker meat and more solid fat around the breast, this is a result of the exercise and free flight. It’s a world apart from shed and caged quail produced in Australia
* birds are slaughtered using c02 controlled atmosphere (no cutting off heads with pliers as is industry commonplace)
* processed with UV pasturised water so no chlorine or bleach bath that degrades the product, they are chemical free from start to finish